[Foundation-l] RE:New language policy

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Nov 24 07:53:54 UTC 2005

ilooy wrote:

>2005/11/23, Pawe³ Dembowski <fallout at lexx.eu.org>:
>

>>>Mexican Spanish is markedly different from Andalusian.
>>>Actually Puerto Rican, Cuban and Dominican and
>>>others in the Caribean are much more like Andalusian.
>>>They exhibit similar language traits and are historically
>>>descended from Andalusian.
>>>

>>Are the differences much bigger than between British and American
>>English? Are texts in Andalusian intelligible to Castilian speakers?
>>

>Hi, Pawe³,
>The difference is quite obvious to
>someone who hears both Andalusian
>and Castilian.

I think he was referring to the written language.

>I truly believe an Andalusian
>language wiki should be formed.
>
>Both American and British English have
>their own forms of speech, and there are
>quite varied regional differences, but most
>are usually understandable, there are of
>course some regional forms of speech
>in the UK that I have a really hard time
>understanding. I'm sure you probably do
>as well... maybe...

Many native English speakers have that problem,

>In the case of Mexican and Andalusian
>I can tell you my grandmothers experience
>in going shopping in Phoenix Arizona...
>She came home complaining that she
>was not understood nor did she understand
>what a lot of people said to her... interestingly
>one situation had to do with buying a "guajolote" which
>is quite different from standard spanish "pavo"
>meaning "turkey".
>:-)))

That term is uniquely Mexican, and for a new world bird at that.  That
won't help in a Castillian/Andalusian distinction.  I likely would hvae
made the mistake of thinking that "pavo" related to peacocks.

Ec