[Foundation-l] Re: New language policy

ilooy ilooy.gaon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 04:52:23 UTC 2005

2005/11/23, Pawe³ Dembowski <fallout at lexx.eu.org>:
> > About conversion script, I don't think it would be useful. Most readers
> > will feel uncomfortable reading texts in a new spelling, even though
> > when that spelling matches best their speech. I don't know the details
> > about Chinese, but I suppose some readers will prefer one scripting over
> > the other.
> > Regards.
> > Manuel Gomez. ManuelGR on Meta.
>
> Chinese Wikipedia uses two different scripts - Simplified and
> Traditional, and the software converts articles between them depending
> on user preferences. Therefore, every user could write in either
> Castilian or Andalusian, depending on their user preferences, and for
> users of Andalusian, the Castilian articles would be converted to
> match their own spelling, so everyone would read them with their own
> scripting even if it was written with the other.

Hi Pawe³,
It is not that simple. Although
many words are pronounced differently
but have one to one character ratio,
there are many instances where Andalusian
uses different terms, pronouns, verb tenses,
and contractions which Castilian would find
non-standard. However these are real in use
Andalusian phrases and they follow a set
"standard" of a sort...
take a look at:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modalidad_ling%C3%BC%C3%ADstica_andaluza#Curiosidad

"Recientemente se viene usando el sistema "NOA" (Norma Ortográfica
Andaluza) basada en el "andaluz estándar" para transcribir canciones
populares, flamenco, o cualquier otra ocasión en la que se quiera
reflejar de forma fidedigna el habla del pueblo andaluz."

For quite a few years now there have been conferences where
Andalusian authors have discussed this NOA and the
impact of the spoken language on the writing standard.

With regards,
Jay B.

ilooy.gaon at gmail.com