[Foundation-l] Re: New language policy

valdelli at bluemail.ch valdelli at bluemail.ch
Tue Nov 22 21:05:15 UTC 2005

>The only reasons why I think Wikimedia is concerned by language
>creation... are
>* public image of seriousness ---> suspicion regarding unnatural
>languages or hoaxes

This is a good reason!

>* practical reasons ---> as soon as the Foundation *pays* for hosting
>these languages, then the Foundation has a little bit to say on the
>matter :-)

;)

>Taking into account speakers identity and existence of a standard
>writing on that language is not the job of the Foundation. It is the job

In my opinion anyone can have a chance. There can be a "start time" in which
if the xxx.wikipedia.org don't exceeds with a fixed number of articles and
members this is closed.

The example: I'm a hard opponent to lmo.wikipedia.org, because it is born
on strange basements. I live in Lombardia and I'm the first to understand
this error because "lombard" doesn't exist but are presents "lombard dialects".
The lmo.wikipedia.org has started "whitout any relevant opposition" (and
my adverse vote???). Someone has spoken about linguistics theories, about
grammars.

After some months: lmo.wikipedia.org is still discussing about grammar, orthography,
etc. and has only 19 articles. The nap.wikipedia.org, born in the same time,
has 3700 articles.

Conclusion: What is the goal of wikipedia? To save languages or dialects?
To change dialects in tongue? To define grammars or dictionaries? Or the
goal is another?

Ilario