[Foundation-l] Re: New language policy

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 20:24:38 UTC 2005

pikola Thierry wrote:
> According to the point 2 in
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposed_policy_for_wikis_in_new_languages
>
> the language proposed must have a standard writing
> system.
>
> If we approve the creation of Wikipedias such as
> Andalusian Spanish, we would create a Wikipedia where
> the users will have to create their own standard. This
> would be a huge contradiction with the Wikipedia
> principle against including original research, because
> the Wikipedia itself would become a linguistic
> research project in order to ellaborate a standard
> written form of the Spanish speech from Andalusia.
>
> Wikimedia community should decide which role new
> Wikipedias play on new writing systems creation.
>
> Another problem of creating such Wikipedia is that the
> great majority of Andalusian speakers don't feel that
> they talk a different language than the rest of the
> Spanish speakers. Therefore, Wikimedia would become a
> non neutral part on the sociolinguistic discussion
> about language identity of Andalusian speakers. If we
> create an Andalusian Wikipedia we would agree on the
> claim that Andalusian is a separate language from
> Spanish.
>
> Another funny thing which should happen is that,
> taking into account that latinoamerican Spanish has
> significantly evolved from Andalusian Spanish, then,
> all the latinoamerican Spanish speakers should learn
> this special new writing system used in Wikipedia,
> adopting it to their local Spanish variation.
> Therefore they should actually be members of the
> Andalusian Wikipedia. Then Andalucian will become one
> of the largest languages of the world ;oD (half
> kidding)
>
> Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I really think
> that Wikimedia Foundation should take much into
> account two points:
> Speakers identity and existence of a standard writing
> on that language.
>
> I think that Wikimedia should not be active part of
> language creation, neither of language identity
> discusion.
>
> Thank you,
> Javier Carro.

I rather agree with the last statement... which is why I rarely comment
on all the discussions regarding all languages creation, and will not
comment specifically on Andalusian, Zlatiborian or other Brazilian
portuguese :-)
Plus, I am not a linguist, so my own comments would have little value :-)

The only reasons why I think Wikimedia is concerned by language
creation... are
* public image of seriousness ---> suspicion regarding unnatural
languages or hoaxes
* practical reasons ---> as soon as the Foundation *pays* for hosting
these languages, then the Foundation has a little bit to say on the
matter :-)

Taking into account speakers identity and existence of a standard
writing on that language is not the job of the Foundation. It is the job
of the community.

Aside from this, the Foundation is not only a paper, it is also people.
And though some editors sometimes forget it, board members sometimes
have pet projects and like to be involved in them, regardless of their
job on the Foundation. Errrr, and my questions about the seriousness of
a vote where most voters are anons or sockpuppets should be seen as
questions of an editor :-)

ant