[Foundation-l] new language policy

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 18:52:09 UTC 2005

Hello

On 11/22/05, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was asked yesterday if it was mandatory that during votes for new
> languages creation, the editor
> * has an account on meta
> * has an account on any already existing project
>
> I do not know what the current policy is.

I'm afraid we have no an established policy on new lang edition vote
at all at least for Wikipedia .. for Wikinews there is A fixed rule
but I am not sure IF it could be applied on Wikipedia ...

For Wikinews vote the current policy says:
*All voters should have an account on meta
*Some voters should have a resonable amont of edits on the same lang project.
*All voter should have edits on a certain project.

It works for Wikinews fairly ... as far as Japanese Wikinews is
concerned. 5 supports, including 4 regular ja users could indicated a
certain number of potential contributors. On the other hand, as for
Wikipedia vote, we can't use the second criteria though. In my humble
opinion the second one is the core of those rules: a new launched
project should be have a number of regular who can prove themselves to
be a regular editor on the target language. But for most Wikipedias,
there is no previous project in the same language.

Let me run a random thought ....

My general opinion about voting eligibility on meta is "a registered
user whose user page has a link to at least one local project". But I
am not sure if it is the case for the current issue. Perhaps it would
be nice to say "at least one supporter should be so-and-so" but I am
very dubious if we expect all voters have been fairly active on
another language project.

So my proposal is, let them start a test wiki somewhere, on meta or on
a separate wiki, and if they have some core project documents (like
NPOV, Licensing and copyright, Requests for adminship ... and "Ignore
all rules" if preferable) and a certain number of pages of test
articles and then ask the community to vote - support or deny their
proposal.

Somehow it is more generous than for potential Wikinewsies, but I
don't think it unfair; the communities we can guess behind the
proposal are different, so such difference could be reasonable,
hopefully.

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com