[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation website

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:07:09 UTC 2005

On 11/9/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> How is it beneficial to have personal essays that do not necessarily
> reflect the views of the Foundation on the official Foundation website
> rather than on Meta?
>
> <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/It_is_forbidden_to_take_pictures%21>

How is having that directly on the Wikimedia FOundation website
different from having it on the Quarto ?

> If this is what the site is turning into, I'd rather go with earlier
> suggestion (I think by Elian) of merging the foundation wiki with
> Meta. Since the Quarto experiment has, as far as I can tell, been
> abandoned, and press releases are scattered over the projects and meta
> rather than being in any one "official" place, I'm less and less
> seeing any point to this site. It doesn't reflect anything official,
> and locks down editing for no benefit.

Merging Foundation Wiki with meta is absolute nonsense. And I think
Florence found a very good compromise.

> I no longer think an uneditable wiki is the best way to present the
> Foundation to the world.

I totally don't agree. As a matter of fact, there should be a person
completely dedicated to this website and it should be static. And yes,
it should reflect editorials from members of the community, the things
they find that are good and those they find difficult. That's the only
thing that will give it a little bit of life.

Not to say that Florence has announced this re-factoring about a month
ago. She did it step by step, we all had plenty of time to say what we
want to see there and we don't want to see there.

Cheers,

Delphine
--
~notafish