[Foundation-l] Privacy policy and editing anonymously notice.

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Fri Nov 4 12:55:32 UTC 2005

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't understand your objection. My proposed wording says
> "Unless you are [[Special:Userlogin|logged in]] your edit will be signed
> with your [[IP address]] when you click 'Save'," which explicitly says
> your IP address _will_ be made public (signatures are public by nature)
> - it's the whole point of the thing. It doesn't say one way or another
> whether your IP address will be recorded if you're logged in, so that's
> not factually incorrect either. I addressed that in my comment.

It doesn't explicitly say it, it implicitly says it - if you take
"signed" to mean publically. I have never been aware of a signature to
be public.

Your proposed wording also implies that your IP address will not be
"signed" with your edits if you are logged in, which might be true
according to your definition of a signature, but your phrasing is
ambiguous and confusing.

Chris