[Juriwiki-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Trademark violation of our 'MediaWiki' mark

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 19:01:36 UTC 2005

--- Dan Grey <dangrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've read it several times, thanks. If one tries to misread it hard
> enough they'll come up with your interpretation; otherwise I think
> people (especially the vaguely web-savvy who are likely the only
> people who will see it) know exactly what they mean.

Sigh. The heading and first sentence says they are launching a new product
called Media Wiki. The second sentence says that Media Wiki is a tool that
allows online collaboration. The third sentence talks about the “new product”
(sic Media Wiki) as if it were their own.

So - how can they launch a new product called Media Wiki when that already
exists? MediaWiki is not a product they can launch as if it were their own.
They can launch an ISP service that includes installations of MediaWiki though.
I know that is what they are getting at, but contrary to what you said,
somebody who is not familiar with MediaWiki already will, at best, be confused,
and, at worst, think Media Wiki is their baby.

> But if you care so much about this, have you written them a letter
> yet? Or who are you expecting to do what?

For one - for people like you to understand concepts like trademark law. For
another, for somebody from the foundation to write them on behalf of the
foundation. Sure - we should just be nice at this point and just ask for some
clarifying wording.

-- mav