[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 7 08:11:38 UTC 2005

Andre Engels wrote:

> In my opinion, PD in that case should simply be taken to mean "the
> author grants everyone unlimited rights to do as they please."
>
>Which, by the way, is indeed impossible in the law of certain
>countries. I as a Dutchman for example cannot sign away my right to
>object to the material being published under another name than mine,
>or to mutilation of the work in such a way that it is damaging to my
>honour or good name as the author.

This sounds as though you're mixing up copyrights and moral rights.
Copyright is an economic right.  Allowing all others to republish the
work without paying royalties falls within that.  Demanding that you be
shown as the author is a different thing.  Whether a "mutilation"
damages your honour or good name would be an arguable question of fact.
Parodies would not fall into that.

Ec