[Foundation-l] meta-discussion for new project proposals (was Proposal for new project: Faith Wiki)

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 22:23:13 UTC 2005

Hi,
as for new project launching, I support Elian and Yann: it is not the
time for us to start a new large projects. It is the time to care for
existing projects including their new language projects.

On 6/29/05, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:

> I guarentee that ignoring the new project proposals completely is going
> to be a gradual death to Wikimedia and eventually Wikipedia.  Most
> groups are desparate for fresh blood and new ideas, and by killing that
> avenue completely, it will have an overall chilling effect on the rest
> of all Wikimedia projects.

Partly agreed, on that most groups are desperate for fresh blood and
new ideas, but in my observation it seldom comes from the newer and
smaller projects (Babel [you may not confuse it with ex-Babylon or
Meta:Babel]  is one glorious exception; I think also Chinese
Wikipedia's merit system as interesting, but surely most of
Wikimedians - even Wikipedians haven't noticed that). Most of
projects, like English Wikipedia are a sort of intellectus activus -
self-sufficient, or auto-poesis i.e. closed but dynamic system: Or I
might say they are loosely monadic; they but have no window, though
reflect all others, specially as for larger projects.

On the contrary, small wikis, like just launching Wiktionary, need
support from larger communities - same projects in different languages
and larger (mostly Wikipedia) project in the same language. And larger
projects seem to moan by its growing pain currently. They need to help
themselves at first and sometimes not capable to care their sibling
projects. In general a new project can hardly start by only newcomers
- they need experienced people on the other projects, and in the long
term it would be rewarded but currently we need to concentrate clear
and present problems on larger existing projects. Here we should set
our priority to care for those project suffering many problems,
legally, comuniticatively, on governance, etc ... and seek steady and
practical solution, not adventure to launch new projects for the sake
of their potential merits.

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com