[Foundation-l] meta-discussion for new project proposals (was Proposal for new project: Faith Wiki)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Jun 28 16:48:33 UTC 2005

Yann Forget wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Le Tuesday 28 June 2005 14:52, Elisabeth Bauer a écrit :
>

>>Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>>

>>>I think it is time to have a serious meta-discussion regarding what it
>>>going to take in order for the Wikimedia Foundation to accept a whole
>>>new project, and what guidelines should be in place, as well as a
>>>roadmap for what would have to be accomplished in order for such a
>>>project to move from a "gee, this would be a cool idea" to "here is the
>>>server space, let's roll!"
>>>

>>[snipped good suggestions]
>>
>>Sorry to say this, but in my opinion we shouldn't accept any new
>>projects at all for the next two years but instead work on improving the
>>existing ones. There's enough work to do and even the time we discuss
>>new projects would be better invested in discussing and solving our
>>current problems.
>>

>I agree 100% with this.
>I think we have enough problems to solve for the time being.
>IMO we should make it clear that no new projects will be accepted for at least
>a year. I have the feeling that we are running forward instead of trying to
>solve existing problems.
>

>>greetings,
>>elian
>>

>Regards,
>Yann

Did you even read what I wrote?  I never even suggested that new
projects should be created, certainly not immediately.  I'm just
suggesting that some sort of structure be put into place to permit a new
project to be made...eventually.  The current process is a mess, and
many people in the Wikimedia community (including many who don't bother
to read this mailing list) are clammoring to have some new project or
new aspect of Wikimedia enhanced or changed.  This is precisely to help
avoid future problems.

I am specifically pointing out the Sean Turvey is an example of somebody
we don't want to discourage (or shouldn't) from participating in
existing projects... or solving the problems that you are talking about.
 I think there is some merit to his proposal, but there needs to be some
education in terms of what Wikimedia and its projects are all about.
 There also needs to be some sort of outlet vent to let ideas ferment
and take shape, and I believe that the project proposal page is one way
to do that.  I hope that Sean hasn't been discouraged from refining his
ideas, and I believe that there is a place for much of what he is
proposing.  Based on his last message, he may have already left, which
is our loss, not his.

I guarentee that ignoring the new project proposals completely is going
to be a gradual death to Wikimedia and eventually Wikipedia.  Most
groups are desparate for fresh blood and new ideas, and by killing that
avenue completely, it will have an overall chilling effect on the rest
of all Wikimedia projects.  The current success of Wikipedia and other
related projects is attracting many new people, and there should not be
an elite attitude that somehow these new "recruits" are somehow less
valuable.  That some of their energies could be redirected, perhaps, but
don't stop the process completely.  And be honest to the people
proposing these projects, that a well thought out proposal is going to
be necessary in order to succeed, which will take time and a lot of
effort if they want to see it happen.  Right now I don't see that
honesty, and from the apparent attitude here that they should never even
bother trying.

--
Robert Scott Horning