[Foundation-l] License that cannot be used in advertisements

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 18:56:02 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> GerardM wrote:
>
>> There are plenty of lovely pictures of this event. The only
>> restriction is in the use of the photos. The pictures can be used for
>> practically any use except for the fact that they may not be used in
>> advertisements. So, it is not allowed to advertise for baby-formula
>> and show a picture of little princess Alexia.
>>
> Strictly speaking that restriction would be contrary to GFDL.
>
>> The pictures can be used in a commercial context, educational and
>> informative is explicitly OK it is just advertisements that are
>> disallowed.
>>
>> My question: is this a restriction that we can make when we use
>> material like this on our Wikimedia projects ..
>>
> I doubt it.  Tracing and evaluating these usages, and determining what
> is advertizing is probably more than anyone wants to do.  Allowing our
> material to be used in any context saves a lot of problems.

I am sure the RVD or "Rijks Voorlichtings Dienst" will do that for us.
It is just for us to state the required limitations.

>> By law it is not allowed anyway to use pictures of members of the
>> royal family in advertisements. So it is explicitly stating what all
>> the people from the Netherlands should already know.. (it is assumed
>> that everyone knows the law .. :)  )
>>
> Is this a matter of copyright or of the law about the Royal Family?
> What would be the status of an unofficial picture taken through a
> papparazo's telephoto lens if he chose to realease that picture under
> GFDL?
>
> Ec

It is against the law in the first place to use pictures of the Royal
Family in an advertisement. A papparazo makes his foto's for the
"gossip" press. That is not using it for advertisements. As far as I
know you are not allowed to use pictures of people without their release
anyway. The release of these pictures is however explicit about what it
can be used for.
Thanks,
    GerardM