[Foundation-l] License that cannot be used in advertisements

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 28 18:25:25 UTC 2005

GerardM wrote:

>There are plenty of lovely pictures of this event. The only
>restriction is in the use of the photos. The pictures can be used for
>practically any use except for the fact that they may not be used in
>advertisements. So, it is not allowed to advertise for baby-formula
>and show a picture of little princess Alexia.

Strictly speaking that restriction would be contrary to GFDL.

>The pictures can be used in a commercial context, educational and
>informative is explicitly OK it is just advertisements that are
>disallowed.
>
>My question: is this a restriction that we can make when we use
>material like this on our Wikimedia projects ..

I doubt it.  Tracing and evaluating these usages, and determining what
is advertizing is probably more than anyone wants to do.  Allowing our
material to be used in any context saves a lot of problems.

>By law it is not allowed anyway to use pictures of members of the
>royal family in advertisements. So it is explicitly stating what all
>the people from the Netherlands should already know.. (it is assumed
>that everyone knows the law .. :)  )

Is this a matter of copyright or of the law about the Royal Family?
What would be the status of an unofficial picture taken through a
papparazo's telephoto lens if he chose to realease that picture under GFDL?

Ec