[Foundation-l] meta-discussion for new project proposals (was Proposal for new project: Faith Wiki)

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Jun 28 13:49:15 UTC 2005

Elisabeth:
> Sorry to say this, but in my opinion we shouldn't accept any new
> projects at all for the next two years but instead work on improving the
> existing ones. There's enough work to do and even the time we discuss
> new projects would be better invested in discussing and solving our
> current problems.

A blanket injunction against new projects may express popular
sentiments, but is unhelpful. However, I would certainly agree that
technical evaluation needs to take higher precedence for future
projects, and where key technical requirements are not met, new projects
should not be launched. Furthermore, in our own allocation of funds to
development work, we should strongly prioritize existing projects,
unless we receive a grant specifically to develop a new one. This,
combined with the requirement that new projects shouldn't be too narrow
in scope (Wikispecies is an unfortunate exception in this regard) should
be sufficient safeguards against mindless expansion. Artificial barriers
are not needed.

It's also important to note that ever since Wikispecies, we have become
*much* more conservative with launching new projects. I find it highly
unlikely that the majority of the community would support a poorly
planned and insufficiently implemented project at this point.
Nevertheless, open discussion of even the wackiest ideas should be
tolerated. After all, Wikipedia started out as a wacky idea.

Erik