[Foundation-l] Re: [Wikinews-l] Wikinews radio

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 06:22:51 UTC 2005

On 13/06/05, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:

> A small but growing group of Wikinews contributors is actively making
> audio recordings of Wikinews stories. This effort is coordinated here:
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Audio_Wikinews
> [...] http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:WikiNews_Network

The Wikinews Network looks like a great idea. I'm pleased to see
people are working on moving the projects beyond a simple text-based
approach.

> If we don't want to run it on our servers, should we allow it to be
> called "Wikinews Network", or should it use a different name?

It would probably depend on why we didn't want to run it on our
servers. It could be an official Wikimedia project without being on
our own servers.

> Should we set any specific limits for the project's scope beyond NPOV,
> or should we let it experiment freely with the format for the time
> being? (There was some talk about ads on the program, but I made it
> clear that this was absolutely impossible.)

Perhaps a trial period will highlight whether or not any limits do
need to be set. I'm not convinced NPOV and no-ads are going to be
policies that need to be adhered to for this. Aiming for a balance in
POV overall rather than in specific items might be better, though this
should be experimented with before any decisions are made. Content off
the main websites has been published with ads before (at least one of
the WikiReaders <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiReader> for
example), so even that is something which should be open to discussion
rather than immediately dismissed, particularly if it isn't going to
be hosted on our own servers.

Angela.