[Foundation-l] 2 M

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 10:24:12 UTC 2005

Anthere (anthere9 at yahoo.com) [050601 14:24]:

> But *this* announcement would not be a global one. Launching article
> quality survey is of great interest for the english wikipedia due to its
> size. It is of much reduced interest for smaller language (as the lack
> of interest in validation topics by minor languages show in meta).
> Wikipedias are at different stages of development. 2M global article can
> help smaller languages get a press announcement. I am not sure they
> would dare send a "quality survey" if their project is 11 254 articles.
> Journalists are more likely to have a great laugh :-)

Mmm. It's of great interest on en: and (I think) de: (particularly in
regards to their quality campaign). Has anyone on fr: noticed?

- d.

I certainly agree it is of great interest.

I think there are enough french readers of this list and enough french participants on meta, to know about this future feature (hard to say this aloud... :-)) ... and to make the information dip at the right places... though I do not remember having it seen discussed in french anywhere... well.
This morning, I put the [[en validation feature]] page a bit in the light on the "hot news" on meta to help a bit it raise interest. But what I am confused about why are there not two different pages for german and english speaking wikipedias ? Will the same "frame" work for both languages ?

In any cases, the topic of the thread is about making a press release for the 2M, not a press release for the article validation system.

The 2M would be of interest to many languages, if not all languages.
The article validation system, if it deserves a press release, would not be interesting all languages by far, because some languages are currently still in the process of trying to have *content*.

These are obviously two different topics and possibly not to mix in the same press release.

And as Ryo points it out extremely well, a press release about the article validation system should be discussed in wikipedia-l. I think it is premature though :-) Perhaps for september ???? (hummm, when school and business start again ?) Since you take care of it a lot, you'll be able to tell us in time :-)

Hmmm, right, I am not in the communication business. I only have the feeling these are two important issues and it would be best to avoid that one press release deals with two different issues at the same time. If only because we could not draft a good powerful title :-)

ant