[Foundation-l] Re: Transwiki wars, precedence, and the fate of user-compiled lists

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 31 06:21:37 UTC 2005

Brian a écrit:
> First off, my credentials:
>
> [[en:User:Brian0918]]
> Administrator
> 11,754 edits
>
> Short version: There is a huge battle going on in which VFDers on WP,
> WS, and Commons are pushing user-compiled lists from one project to
> another. In each case, they are saying the lists belong on one of the
> other 3 projects. Almost nobody is saying that these lists don't belong
> anywhere, but nobody can decide on where they belong. It also doesn't
> help that nobody on one project accepts the outcome of another project's
> VFD (an outcome which may have said to transwiki to this project) as a
> reason to keep it on this project.

This is an important point you raise.
 From another perspective, we also increasingly are confronted to
situation of editors jumping from one project to another, or one
language to another, while they are banned on the first and not (yet ?)
on the second. Some editors will then reject civil rights to this editor
(such as forbidding to an editor banned on the english wikipedia to vote
on meta), while others consider he should be given a chance as blocking
rules are different from one project to the next (for example, the
german wikipedia seems to block or unsysop editors much more easily than
the french wikipedia). There is an ongoing issue right now with an
editor of the dutch and english projects.

In short, we increasingly are confronted to this inter-projects
relationships, relying in local rules... as many issues fall in a sort
of grey area. What you report kinda of fall in the same area.

Do you think a sort of international committee, made of editors from
different projects and different languages could make these decisions on
behalf of all editors in these sorts of situation, per request of local
communities. Right now, it mostly ends up by request to Jimbo, Angela
and myself... and I'd say it is not the best solution. The only good
point of this solution is that usually our decision is well accepted by
(relieved) editors.

So, it would be interesting to see whether a sort of international court
would be acceptable to solve these kind of issues.

If so, how could it be organised ? How would it get members ?
(nomination, elections...) On which rules would it work ?

Suggestions ?

Anthere