[Foundation-l] Commons copyright violotion and OTRS

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Jul 20 18:51:54 UTC 2005

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
> On OTRS I received a complaint that some photo's were taken from a
> website. As the photo's were located on Commons, I informed the
> gentleman to go to the Commons administrators. In this case they were
> world war II photo's of machine guns. I told the gentleman that even
> if the photos were taken from his website, it would not matter when
> the photos are already in the pubic domain.
>
> The question, as it is not possible for a Dutch admin to remove photos
> from Commons and as it has no impact to remove the pictures from an
> article, is it correct to refer this gentleman to the Commons admins
> or is there / should there be a procedure for these issues.

On Commons, if you think there is a copyright tag you can throw on
images you think are in dispute, which is the {{Copyvio}} tag, and any
user can add that onto the image.  You don't need to be an admin.
 Please make sure you put in a reason on the image page when you think
there is a problem, or try and contact the user who uploaded the content
(to be kind to a potential new user who thought uploading random stuff
from web pages was appropriate).  The tag will get flagged to a category
which the admins on Commons check very regularly, and will delete if it
is against Commons policy.

--
Robert Scott Horning