[Foundation-l] Proposal for a new project: Wikipedia Historical Atlas

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:01:27 UTC 2005

There's a great idea.  Simply finding a way to identify which set of
historical maps to animate together would be interesting; a default
naming scheme identifying the region and year?   I will add that there
is already some kind of web-based software for wiki-style 'modifying
path-segments' on a line-sketch, which is used on a geo-wiki I visited
recently (I can't remember which one; it was based in London I
believe).

See also Magnus's work : http://magnusmanske.de/wikimaps

Developing image-manipulation software that stores the edit history to
an image, and lets anyone open and modify its borders and fill-colors
-- and add text -- via a browser, would be a fascinating project.  I
would be happy to see such a project begin with low-resolution,
light-weight images and simple shapes...

Menchi, I see you added this to the list of proposed projects on meta;
perhaps you can help put it into the context of the other map
proposals.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_project_proposals_group#Geography

SJ

--