[Foundation-l] Anons cannot create pages on english wikipedia?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Dec 7 23:29:20 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>Maybe new page patrol needs to be more about researching and improving
>new articles and less about "deleting crap".  The article that started
>this whole discussion wasn't "crap".  It wasn't "nn cruft" or
>"vanity".  But it did have some serious problems that could have been
>resolved if more time was spent researching it.
>
>I'm not saying this to lay blame, after all new page patrol is a
>volunteer effort so any help is better than nothing.  But if you're
>ever "bored" I can think of a few million things to do, things that
>are more important than "deleting crap" anyway.

Well, they aren't really comparable activities.  New-page patrol for
crap is a mindless activity that can be done to procrastinate and/or
relieve stress.  Researching someone I've never heard of, don't care
about, and don't have the resources available to research in the first
place isn't.  On the occasions I *do* want to do serious research for
Wikipedia, I prefer to do it on areas in which I either have expertise
or at least some amount of interest (I have a long list of articles I
care about that need improving or writing in the first place).  Perhaps
some volunteers can be persuaded to do "random researching", but I
suspect it will be relatively few.

-Mark