[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 15:03:25 UTC 2005

Hoi,
"the quality of our contributions should be excellent" and "not only
experts should contribute". Your entry level is high. It is too high
because you insist on contributions to be unchallengeable. You wish for
us to be better than others, individually we are not. When we
collaborate we may be better than most. In order to have great content,
we first have to acquire it then some will check it, discuss it and
improve it. It may be annotated with sources we can sprinkle our magic
on it BUT it is an argument that we have had before..

Let me go over the same argument again: our content grows in quality and
quantity. When you look at it, the percentage of stubs is still more or
less the same but there are more of them. The percentage of stellar
articles stays the same and there are more of them. Some of our projects
have grown to the point where quoting sources is a done thing. A
percentage of articles provide their sources this percentage may be
growing but at some point it will stay the same.

Now here is the rub, when you insist that all our articles need to
provide sources, you will lose our stubs. You will make the composition
of the content different. When you only consider only the English or the
German language wikipedia you may be of the opinion that it has enough
content. For projects that are in its infancy like the Swahili Wikipedia
it would be a killer. It would be a killer because we do not have the
vibrant community that we wish for it.

Danny, indeed you are not saying that only experts should contribute but
you do insist that contributions should be excellent. Indeed we are not
a dumping ground nor are we a bulletin board and our history proves that
we are not. Now you cannot have it both ways. Either you accept that we
do our best and quoting sources is only an aspect of it or you insist on
perfection all round. So far we have never been perfect but we have been
striving for perfection. To me it sounds that Wikipedia is the product
of humans and fallible as a consequence. I think this is only to be
expected.

It is indeed great to strive to be better than other encyclopaedias.
There biggest achievement is in the relevancy that they had in the past.
Encyclopaedias were the embodiment of knowledge. Many people grew up
with them and acquired knowledge that way. Wikipedia is young and its
relevancy is something that can only be judged in the future. My opinion
is that the projects where we are best at present may not be the ones
where we will be most relevant. When we are able to develop Wikipedias
in languages like Kannada, Telugu or Bambara we will develop a resource
that may become comparable in relevancy to the encyclopaedias that we
want to improve upon.

Thanks,
    GerardM