[Foundation-l] Re: Resignation as CRO / Information flow

Erik Zachte epzachte at chello.nl
Fri Aug 19 23:25:26 UTC 2005

Anthere, thanks for you extensive reply on my previous mail.
Jimbo, thanks for recognizing that my remarks are meant constructively.

Anthere, I hope you did not think of me as one of the guys who threw 'oil on
the fire'. If so, I would feel very sorry for that.

I certainly did touch on a sensitive issue when tensions were already high.
Erik Moellers resignation is the apotheosis of a longer time of difficult
relations between him and the board. So his announcement will have done
little to make your wikibreak bear fruit. And then, on top of that, I made
some remarks about the role of the board, as if you did not have enough on
your mind yet. Maybe I should have postponed my reaction and should not have
jumped up immediately to try to put this event in a broader perspective.

At the other hand: part of my point is exactly that it may be useful to make
roles and rules more explicit in times when everyone is on a good footing
with each other, since it is much more difficult to discuss these things
when emotions are already running high, and conflicts have started. So with
hindsight I illustrated my point inadvertently with my initial mail. Let me
quote from my first mail to emphasize this even more: "So let us be inspired
to clarify roles, responsibilities and procedures, at a time when we can do
without in many occasions, in preparation for a time when we might need more
clarity and transparency badly."

Anthere, not all of my questions are addressed (to be clear about this, you
did elaborate on how you see the role of the officers, but not the
jurisdiction  of the board, perhaps you think this is self evident by its
actions) but I will happily defer this discussion till a later time, and
move half of this mail into my drafts folder.

Oh one more thing: I'm one those guys that, as Chris described, does not
often write a mail to tell I'm happy with how things are going.
Maybe I should, but these lists get spammed with trivia already far too
much, and I feel a mail about how I have nothing to say, apart from that
things are going well, or how I also support a decision that is already
approved by most writers, would be quite trivial indeed.

So for the record, I'm in some cases reasonably happy with how things are
going, and in many cases very.
And still euphoric after Wikimania by the way.
Enjoy your wikibreak. :-)

Erik Zachte