[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open onSeptember1st 20

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Wed Aug 17 06:47:51 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Zachary Harden wrote:
>

>>My country, the United
>>States, is very hard to get into and some of our Wikipedians from
>>overseas will have problems getting in, such as those coming from China.
>>

>This is widely believed, but is it actually true?
>
>We should get some hard facts before excluding the US completely from
>consideration.

According to a statement in the English language newspapers in Thailand
about a year ago, over 90% of people applying for a visa to the US at
the Bangkok embassy get refused. It was published in an article in which
they also published a list of requirements and ask people to think
before they apply. This was a reaction to a critical article in one of
the papers about the hefty fees you have to pay to apply for a US visa
and which you do not get back, even when refused.

Waerth/Walter