[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2006 - host city contest to open on September 1st 2005

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 05:28:30 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Dori <slowpoke at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I may suggest, I would say one requirement should be that it be
> held on a different continent each year.

We'd run out of continents quickly, and I'm not just talking about the
seventh year. :)

It would be desirable to diversify to other continents if possible,
there seems to be no good reason to restrict it so early in the game.
There was talk towards the end of WM'05 that perhaps Asia
(China/Singapore/Japan) or North America (Canada) would be great
candidates. But Dutch and French folks have much more critical mass of
organization/staffing, that we should not rule them out entirely.

Much of the problem is that the German folks did such an amazing
job,that it's such a hard act to follow with anything but the largest
Wikipedia communities.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)