[Foundation-l] Re: Research access to logs

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Aug 16 01:26:49 UTC 2005

Tobias Denninger wrote:
> Hello..
>
> ..I think it could be useful to compute the probability an article B is read on
> condition that another article A is read whithin a short timeframe before from a
> specific reader. Based on this probabilities suggestions could be made to the
> reader of a specific article which articles could be also interesting (maybe a
> kind of collaborative filtering or Amazon's "Customers who bought this book also
> bought.."). Subscribed user could offered personalized recommendations based on
> the computation how probable it is that an article is of interest to that
> specific user who read those articles. I'd be interested in implementing that
> idea, so as a first step I'd be interested in a sample log file with a size of
> some Megabyte.

I'd better explain that. This is a person who approached me during
Wikimania asking for access to logs. I was positive at the time but more
guarded by email recently, given the tone of discussion in this thread.
I suggested to him (and to the other person who approached me at
Wikimania, who will hopefully post soon), that he state his case to the
list, to allow for public debate. So please take him seriously, and ask
him some questions.

-- Tim Starling