[Foundation-l] Re: board elections

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 04:42:43 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller a écrit:
> Anthere, Danny et al.,
>
> I have three requests regarding the organization of this year's election:
>
> 1) Translations. We need
> - the announcement that people can stand for election, and how
> - the 1000 character candidate profiles
> - the announcement of the actual vote
> to be translated into as many languages as possible. To avoid candidate
> bias, a translation of candidate profiles should only be allowed if all
> profiles are included.

Since I complained about that last year, I am not gonna criticise this :-)

> If Sj is not going to stand, I think he would make an excellent
> organizer for this. Getting longer platform statements translated could
> remain within an individual candidate's responsibility.
>
> 2) I would like the candidate profiles to be displayed *on the voting
> page* in the language set in the user preferences. This should be doable
> as a hack by putting them in the language files or the MediaWiki
> namespace(s); I can write a script to assist with that.
>
> Why? Because this way, voters will not have to seek out information in
> their language about who they are voting on, which should lead to a much
> better informed choice.

why not ?
But it will never be translated in all languages. Nevertheless, I have
no opposition to this.

> 3) Given the growing importance of Wikimedia and the Board, I'd like the
> integrity of this election to be closely watched. This should include a
> post-election analysis of the data: checking for sock puppets, double
> votes on multiple wikis, etc. This could be a collaborative effort. I'd
> like to ask the organizers to make this part of their election planning.

I think this was done last year...

Anyway, this requires work... we currently have 4 candidates organisers.
We wait about 24 more hours and will check for each of those. We
probably need more than 2 people, but I will be glad to have Danny
feedback on this.

> I think at least two developers who are not going to stand should serve
> as security advisors to the organizers. Let's also carefully define the
> requirements for being allowed to vote. This should be done in private
> by the organizers and the advisors and published only shortly before the
> vote to avoid trickery.
>
> All best,
>
> Erik

Sure.
I would like to see at least one technical organiser. Anyone ?

Ant