[Foundation-l] board elections

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 23:03:32 UTC 2005

Anthere, Danny et al.,

I have three requests regarding the organization of this year's election:

1) Translations. We need
- the announcement that people can stand for election, and how
- the 1000 character candidate profiles
- the announcement of the actual vote
to be translated into as many languages as possible. To avoid candidate
bias, a translation of candidate profiles should only be allowed if all
profiles are included.

If Sj is not going to stand, I think he would make an excellent
organizer for this. Getting longer platform statements translated could
remain within an individual candidate's responsibility.

2) I would like the candidate profiles to be displayed *on the voting
page* in the language set in the user preferences. This should be doable
as a hack by putting them in the language files or the MediaWiki
namespace(s); I can write a script to assist with that.

Why? Because this way, voters will not have to seek out information in
their language about who they are voting on, which should lead to a much
better informed choice.

3) Given the growing importance of Wikimedia and the Board, I'd like the
integrity of this election to be closely watched. This should include a
post-election analysis of the data: checking for sock puppets, double
votes on multiple wikis, etc. This could be a collaborative effort. I'd
like to ask the organizers to make this part of their election planning.

I think at least two developers who are not going to stand should serve
as security advisors to the organizers. Let's also carefully define the
requirements for being allowed to vote. This should be done in private
by the organizers and the advisors and published only shortly before the
vote to avoid trickery.

All best,

Erik