[Foundation-l] wikinews and other stuff

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 09:25:30 UTC 2004

> firstly, re: wikinews, it will be released under GFDL yes? which means
> that if CNN or BBC or ABC or NZBC or the guardian or even slashdot or
> a blog wanted to reproduce our wikinews article, then they would have
> to also reproduce the entire GFDL license (or did i read the GDFL
> incorrectly), which may well be twice as long as the news article. Has
> anyone else thought of this problem and come up with any solutions.
> Other than this my position on wikinews is not active support, but
> certainly close interest.

One solution would be what Tim Starling proposed on WikiCommons: We
get our own Wikimedia license, which specifies that material under the
Wikimedia license may also be distributed under the GNU/FDL license
(as well as CC-BY-SA and perhaps others). The Wikimedia license then
could specify that mentioning "This material may be published in
changed or unchanged state under the Wikimedia license" would be
enough.

Andre Engels