[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Jean-Christophe Chazalette jean-christophe.chazalette at laposte.net
Sat May 29 12:38:02 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anthere" <anthere9 at yahoo.com>
To: <foundation-l at wikimedia.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 1:05 PM
Subject: [Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

> I guess this is my last attempt to talk about
> copyright issues in this place before deciding that
>
> - copyright discussions are obviously not interesting
> *anyone* here, so are not worth trying to be discussed
> since it raises absolutely no interest whatsoever
>
> - or that are not to be discussed in any other place
> than on the english wikipedia list (see Tomos
> discussion about changing our copyright license,
> discussion that is occuring in another place, with the
> idea that all wikipedias would follow the english
> rules afterwards)
>
> So, I'll ask just another time to be certain.
>
> I must say that I am currently very disappointed by
> lack of cooperation on the matter, because I do not
> think my question is very difficult for those working
> in the wikimedia projects other than wikipedia.
>
> We are setting the foundation status. The current
> status are indicating that ALL OF OUR CONTENTS
> (wikimedia projects) will be distributed under the
> gfdl license.

It doesn't say that, ant :

"WF have contents which are not protected by the provisions regulating the
the intellectual property, if such is the case freely distributed under the
conditions of a free licence of documentation of the type of the Free
Documentation License written by Free Software Foundation Inc, and in
particular its European branch with http://www.fsfeurope.org/"

No classical copyright, and a possibility of *a* free licence *of the type*
of GFDL. So that I can't see how it would be possibly wider. Did we read the
same text ? :-)

villy