[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Communs

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Thu May 27 02:00:06 UTC 2004

On May 26, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Christopher Mahan wrote:

> --- Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
> [large snip]
>> I see discussions all the time on the mailing lists that are
>> basically
>> conversations involving a very small handful of people. I don't see
>>
>> anything wrong with that, any more than there's anything wrong with
>> two
>> people engaging in a conversation on a talk page, which is equally
>> public. Whoever is interested can always join in, and I'm happy to
>> shift
>> between my limited selection of languages to accommodate other
>> participants.
>
> I agree with you Michael. Sometimes it is easiest for someone to
> express themselves in their mother tongue.

Since (I assume) all of us speak English, let's say that anyone who
feels comfortable in English would be best served to write in
English.  If they wold prefer their mother tongue, it would be nice
to include a (human) translation, or at least a summary.  If the
user doesn't (possibly unable to), another user might step up and
do the translation, in the WikiSpirit.  No use posting Google
translations, I think, since we can all get them ourselves.

Peter

                  A house without walls cannot fall.
     Help build the world's largest encyclopedia at Wikipedia.org