[Foundation-l] Multilinguality (Was: Wikimedia Communs)

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 14:31:28 UTC 2004

--- Toby Bartels <toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu> wrote:
> Anthere wrote in part:
>
> >I'll add that comments stating it is inappropriate
> >write in french on a multilingual list, and
> requesting
> >an explanation, do not exactly help asserting the
> fact
> >this mailing list *is* multilingual.
>
> While I'm primarily in sympathy with your position,
> anthère,
> still it's important to distinguish "stating it is
> inappropriate"
> from "requesting an explanation".  The latter is a
> good thing!
> Since more people here know English than know French
> (I assume),
> it's very helpful to the readers in general to have
> English explanations
> (such as Chris's nice summary to one of your recent
> posts).
>
> French posts are not /inappropriate/ by any means,
> but they may be /ineffective/, relatively to
> English.
> That's something that every poster must keep in
> mind,
> as a practical matter, if they want their posts to
> be read.
>

> -- Toby

I understand well Toby
There is the "law" (Wikimedia thrive on being diverse)
and the "application of the law" (however, you shall
learn to speak english if you want to participate to
project-wide discussions).

Sic :
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ADeveloper_access#%E8%B3%AA%E5%95%8F

Forgive me to feel disgusted though.

Only moderate-level in english, and loosing huge time
to say most things two times, I think I will more and
more send google translations though.