[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Communs

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 26 12:12:00 UTC 2004

Michael-

> Yes, but until today, every time I've looked at the list of subscribers,
> Jimbo's email was marked as having list delivery disabled.

I didn't know that and I didn't change the settings, maybe Jimbo did.

> our behavior gives the impression of Jimbo as a
> MeatBall:GodKing.

.. which he effectively is. He has, however, gradually relinquished power
to open decision making processes. Until all the necessary processes exist
and are sanctioned by the Board, we should continue to bring important
developments to the attention of Jimbo/the Board to assure at least some
basic legitimacy.

>> foundation-l and wikipedia-l are multilingual to allow people to
>> communicate who otherwise could not

> Now that I look closely I see you added something similar to
> [[Wikipedia:Mailing lists]] a couple months ago, and apparently nobody
> objected. That seems like a pretty restrictive formulation to me, as if
> we're only allowing multilingual discussion as a sort of concession, and
> you _must_ use English unless you cannot.

The point of language is to communicate. When we use language, we should
use the one which allows us to communicate best. If a plausible argument
can be made that in this instance, and in others, French was a better way
to communicate than English, then I'm open to hearing it. It seems to me
that the much more realistic explanation is that some people prefer to
switch  to a language which they think other people won't understand when
they want to make comments which they don't want other people to read. And
that, it also seems to me, is clearly against the spirit of open
communication.

It's like when you're in a cafe with a bunch of friends, and suddenly two
of them start having a conversation in Russian. Notably, only one of the
people involved in the conversation is actually Russian. You don't speak
Russian, nor do most of your friends, and the couple provides no
explanation for switching languages; you only hear a few words you know
and can deduce that the conversation is a direct continuation of the
earlier English one.

Is such an unexplained switch courteous? Is it useful as a "demonstration
of the multilingual nature of the meeting"? Or is it irritating, perhaps
even hostile, to others? Using English as our language of choice is not
some imperialist dictate. It is a choice that is made purely for pragmatic
reasons. I am not a native English speaker, but I support this choice
because I want *open* *communication*. I would appreciate it if we could
all agree to make our conversations as open as possible. When that is not
desired, there is always e-mail.

Regards,

Erik