[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Communs

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 11:29:17 UTC 2004

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Michael-
> > C'est bien de voir que tout au moins quelqu'un se
> souvient de la liste
> > correcte pour discuter ces sujets. Est-ce que tous
> les autres oublient
> > parce que en ce moment Jimbo ne reçoit pas les
> messages de cette liste-ci ?
>
> Jimbo is subscribed to the list, but he started the
> thread on wikipedia-l,
> so I replied there. Is there any particular reason
> for this thread to be
> in French? Andre, Anthere and yourself all speak
> English, which is surely
> the best language to reach the largest number of
> people? foundation-l and
> wikipedia-l are multilingual to allow people to
> communicate who otherwise
> could not, not to have semi-private exchanges on a
> public list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

I would not *exactly* call public mails to a list with
probably over 100 registered users, tracked by Google,
"semi-private exchanges" :-)

Yes, there are reasons
First, unless that recently changed, this *public*
list is *multilingual. We do not need authorisation to
write another language than english here.

Second, it is good to remind users of that list of
this fact. When we use english all the time, people
are lead to believe it is *mandatory* to write in
english here. It is not

I'll add that comments stating it is inappropriate to
write in french on a multilingual list, and requesting
an explanation, do not exactly help asserting the fact
this mailing list *is* multilingual.