[Foundation-l] Wiktionary, general thoughts

Tomasz Sienicki tsca at edb.dk
Sun May 16 16:22:11 UTC 2004

 Timwi wrote:

> We would thus have hundreds of entries for, say, "five" in hundreds of
> languages, all of which say nothing else than "this means five" and the
> same list of translations into all other languages. Isn't this an
> incredible nightmare to keep in sync?

> Now we have Wiktionaries in loads of languages, and all the redundancy
> above is multiplied /again/ by the number of languages.

 No; for example in the Polish Wiktionary we have the following rule:

 a Polish word -> translation into all languages
 a non-Polish word -> translation into Polish only

 That's the only logical way of doing that.

> Am I the only one who thinks this is unbelievably redundant?

 You're not.

 I understand that initially it wasn't clear whether Wiktionaries in other
 (than En) languages would be established at all. However, they are there now,
 so the redundant lists of translations should be moved from EN to the respective
 lng wiktionaries.

--
 tsca * Tomasz Sienicki