[Foundation-l] A question to all board candidates...

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 22:09:34 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In Madagascar, 10 dollars is feeding a full family for
> several months.

And even in Russia many workers make about $100 a month. I'm well aware of that
and of course we would make provisions for nations where the cost of living is
so much less. But due to the very low Internet usage Madagascar, I sadly don't
forsee us having a chapter there any time soon. But we will when we are as big
as National Geographic is now.

> Set the amount of the annual fee at 10 dollars
> whatever the nationality of the member will ensure
> that the participation to Wikimedia information
> spreading *all over the world* is an activity limited
> to "rich members" living in developped countries
> members.

I was thinking more along the lines of setting it at a small amount - the cost
of a lunch for two. I mistakingly put a dollar figure on that to illustrate my
point.

> That goes for local chapter as well as Foundation.

Again, what the local chapter needs in terms of a dues is up to the chapter.
But it is very important that each member actually help further the goals of
the chapter and the foundation. A don't want the chapters to be social clubs -
thus the requirement to contribute at least in some way.

> Our participation from third world countries is
> currently terribly low. Many of those people are among
> those who lack terribly of information. You and I, do
> not need *more* information really, we need perhaps
> better information, we need less biaised information,
> but not *more*. Actually, we have often too much
> information.

That is why I support putting Wikimedia content on donated computers, CDs and
paper. I also support the creation of a Wikimedia University, so that people
from all over the world will have access to very low cost education.

> And as for myself, I consider that the most important
> role Wikipedia in particular, could have, is to bring
> information to those who do not have access to it. In
> our countries, the information will very likely be
> distributed through the internet mostly. That is the
> best way to keep it updated. And that will be cheap.

The Internet infrastructure in those nations needs to be built first. Sadly,
I'm not sure if that is in our short to mid-term mandate, but we could
eventually help it along.

> In less developped countries, the issue is not even
> daily updated information, it is just information in
> itself. And it is more relevant to think that part of
> the distribution will be paper or cd.
> Which means we need people to BE in the country of
> distribution probably. We need physical persons over
> there. These people will have to be members of the
> Foundation so as to participate a minimum to
> discussion and votes on these distribution projects.

Interesting point. We could have volunteer time (when directed at Wikimedia
Foundation-related activities) count toward dues. Yes, I think that is a very
good idea.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)