[Foundation-l] Copyright issues of wikimedia projects

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Tue Jun 1 23:48:10 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>>Since they're probably not all paying attention anymore,
>>I'll bring this to their attention (after checking
>>that I've got the correct people), so we can stop you. ^_^

>Mav is a reasonable person and he would never use his influence or power
>in the project to unilaterally enforce his point of view.

I hope that I haven't given anybody the wrong impression,
because I agree entirely with what Erik says here.
The way to "stop [mav]" is to stop him from convincing
everybody else that he's correct, nothing more than that!

>I agree with Mav that first and foremost, we need to work with the FSF
>towards simplifying the FDL for our purposes, perhaps just as an FDL 2.0,
>or using his FCL migration clause idea.

To work things out with the FSF for our benefit would be ideal.
I don't want to finalise a policy that rules things out ahead of time,
which is why I've been doing all this discussion and argument.
But it'll be fantastic if the issue never comes up in practice
because Jimmy and Stallman and Lessig make everything perfect.
I don't have much faith that it ''will'' be worked out,
but it's times like these that I like to be wrong!

-- Toby