[Foundation-l] Re: Personal research grant collaboration request

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 10:39:04 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

> Chitu Okoli wrote:
>
>> By this rule, I would think that "wikipedia" (small letters) should
>> refer to
>> any of various language wikipedias (e.g. de.wikipedia.org and
>> zh.wikipedia.org), whereas "Wikipedia" (capitalized) should refer to
>> the big
>> mama that comprises all the daughter wikipedias (the Wikipedia should be
>> www.wikipedia.org, though that link automatically points to the
>> wikipedia at
>> en.wikipedia.org, I guess because that one was the first, and is the
>> largest
>> and the most visited).

Oh and... www.wikipedia.org pointing at en.wikipedia.org is a historical
artifact. An oddity :-)
Certainly because it was the first one. The correct adress was initially
www.wikipedia.com.
There have been many discussions to change that... have a portal page,
or an automatic redirection...but...

Other newer projects are not necessarily so, and the www. adress may
point to a portal page bringing to all languages