[Foundation-l] Re: Personal research grant collaboration request

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 09:14:25 UTC 2004

Chitu Okoli wrote:

> By this rule, I would think that "wikipedia" (small letters) should refer to
> any of various language wikipedias (e.g. de.wikipedia.org and
> zh.wikipedia.org), whereas "Wikipedia" (capitalized) should refer to the big
> mama that comprises all the daughter wikipedias (the Wikipedia should be
> www.wikipedia.org, though that link automatically points to the wikipedia at
> en.wikipedia.org, I guess because that one was the first, and is the largest
> and the most visited).

Wikipedia with a big W is the concept and the entirety of our project.
Not the english wikipedia only (note the small w).

2 years ago, it made sense to talk of the mother (the english) and the
daughters (the other ones). But since some of the other ones are quite
big now (as a reminder, de is now 100 00 pages) and have their own very
well established rules, customs and community, I think that speaking of
the big mother with a big W as being the reference of the concept, with
the other ones being just sprouts is likely to be increasingly wrongly
perceived.

Just a sociological comment :-)