[Foundation-l] Membership fees proposal

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 30 17:31:17 UTC 2004

--- Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the price should be set near the price of a decent
> magazine subscription, which in the US would be around USD $30 a year.
> That's how many public broadcasters in the US rationalize their
> membership drives.

We should have several different membership levels starting at $30 a year.

One possible structure:

$30 a year ($2.5/month): Standard
$60 a year ($5/month): Silver
$120 a year ($10/month): Gold
$240 a year ($20/month): Platinum
#240+ a year: Sustaining (yep, goes up a category)

And of course anybody who is active on any Wikimedia project could be a
volunteer-level member by just signing-up (and maybe paying a nominal fee). A
parallel discount fee structure should also exist (set it at 20% of the regular
fee structure and reserve it for special cases - such as for nations where the
cost of living is really low).

Going up each level should also mean the person gets more wampum (shirts, mugs,
etc). We could reach out to various businesses to ask for wampum donations
(discount cards, free gifts, etc). This may complicate the discount fee
structure though. Either way getting the gifts may require a separate payment
for shipping. It will also be some time before we could set up such a system.

Just some ideas to chew on.

-- Daniel Mayer