[Foundation-l] Membership fees proposal

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:34:05 UTC 2004

It seems that the price should be set near the price of a decent
magazine subscription, which in the US would be around USD $30 a year.
That's how many public broadcasters in the US rationalize their
membership drives.

Since Wikipedia is global community, another funky idea is to have
market pricing, using the Economist Big Mac index.  Have folks donate
the equivalent of ten Big Macs.  Not only does this make it a more
"fun" calculation, it can showcase the global nature of the project
that as a "marketplace of knowledge", it is sensitive to global market
pricing.  This way, American, Polish, or Chinese users can take the
same "impact" on their wallets.

For the latest Big Mac index, see that chart at the bottom of:
http://www.economist.com/markets/bigmac/displayStory.cfm?story_id=2708584

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)