[Foundation-l] fund drive update - why was the message removed from en.wikipedia?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 19:26:10 UTC 2004

--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> I see your point, but isn't this an empirical question?  I'm not at
> all confident that it is actually true that our greatest total revenue
> would come in that way, and also of course, maximizing revenue isn't
> the goal, but rather something like 'getting enough revenue to do what
> we want to do, without being too annoying and tacky'.

That is why we would create special events to coincide with fund drives. This
would limit the display of the fund drive notice to 4 weeks a year - one each
quarter. We would have certain goals to attain during that week and special
events to get people excited (a combination of meet-ups/face-to-face board
meetings, jam sessions, WikiReader work, and press releases).

I think that will be far more effective than having a constant message.

-- Daniel Mayer