[Foundation-l] fund drive update - why was the message removed from en.wikipedia?

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jul 22 18:04:49 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with quarterly fund drives and having the
> message up constantly will just mean that people will tend to tune
> it out. This is *especially* true if it is at the bottom of pages.
> Thus periodic messages in parts of a page that can't be ignored will
> generate the biggest response.

I see your point, but isn't this an empirical question?  I'm not at
all confident that it is actually true that our greatest total revenue
would come in that way, and also of course, maximizing revenue isn't
the goal, but rather something like 'getting enough revenue to do what
we want to do, without being too annoying and tacky'.

--Jimbo