[Foundation-l] Wiki Translations of Greek/Roman/XYZ classics

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Dec 20 12:26:41 UTC 2004

Viktor Horvath wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I dropped some lines about this idea about two months ago. Now, I
> wrote a more detailed plan which is available from
>
> http://www.steckenpferde.de/wiki-translations/
>
> and I also made a reference on Meta's "Talk:Proposals for new
> projects" page. I'm not calling for a "proposal" as it can be
> integrated into an existing project like wikisource. But what can I do
> to promote this idea further?

Much of this fits in with my own vision of Wikisource.  I have myself
raised the question of co-ordinated side-by-side boxes (or panes) to
facilitate translations, and footnoting.  Two or three such panes seem
workable, more would probably result in unduly narrow columns.

Your edition management and pdf conversion ideas are interesting, but
should probably be deferred until after we have accomodated translations
and annotations.

All we need is for some developer to be sufficiently inspired by the
idea.  Until then we just need to be patient, and limit ourselves to the
occasional friendly reminder to make sure that the idea does not get
forgotten.

Ec