[Foundation-l] e-gold proposal

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Sun Dec 12 18:10:48 UTC 2004

I looked at e-gold at some length when I needed a way to accept
donations for my DICT distribution (www.ropersonline.com/dict).

I had heard quite a number of Very Bad Things about PayPal, plus I
don't like eBay and only cope with them where it's unavoidable -- in
short, my motivation was high to look at alternative e-payment
solutions.

The end result: I didn't sign up with e-gold, I grudgingly signed up
with PayPal.
e-gold may be a good idea in theory, but their "cost of entry" (not
necessarily in a monetary sense) is just too high.

It's just too bleedin complicated to get money into the e-gold system.
If e-gold already WAS a pervasive world currency, accepted as
frequently as, say, VISA cards, THEN it probably would make sense to
make it difficult to move money into or out of the e-gold system. This
would make sure most parties keep their funds in their e-gold accounts
and pay each other, circulating the money that way, yadda, yadda,
yadda. It would NOT be nice to thus make things difficult, but it would
make sense. Seeing however that e-gold is an "also-ran" in the
e-payment market, this just doesn't make effin sense. As a user, I
expect a single page where I can punch in a few numbers and be done.
e-gold will only grow if they CATER FOR END USERS, with the possibility
of e-gold internal money circulation arriving almost as an
afterthought.

With PayPal I find it *annoying* that the payer has to create an
account, mandatorily. Why, oh why can't that be an OPTION? Let the USER
decide if they want to go through the hoops, submit an email address,
etc. etc. instead of just punching in their credit card details and be
done.

With e-gold however, things are INFINITELY worse: Not only does the
user also have to create an account, they actually have to create TWO
accounts, one for e-gold and one for the service the use to get money
into the e-gold system (that's 2 new important and non-trivial
passwords to remember). Plus, the (not very appealing or
well-structured) e-gold website DOES NOT TELL YOU THIS upfront. You
have to do a fair bit of reading to figure out how their feckin system
works.

I want a payment service that can be used by commercial and hobbyist
webmasters alike, without the need for a minimum transaction volume AND
without mandatory account creation. Let the user punch in their numbers
and be done if desired. Make it an OPTION to create an (i.e ONE(!))
account if they so choose. Where the payment service has its own
"currency", that currency should be easy-peasy to exchange into any
other currency and easy to move into regular current accounts in all or
most countries.

I'm not the Wikimedia Foundation, but if I was the Wikimedia
Foundation, then I would stay well clear of e-gold unless and until
they get their act together. It's not in our interest to make it
difficult and frustrating for people to donate money to us. (Plus it's
not in our interest to have that money in a "currency" we can't use to
pay for, say, new Apache boxen -- ie. we ultimately need to put the
dough into WMF bank accounts anyway.)

-- ropers [[en:User:Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com