[Foundation-l] Wikinews Licensing

Mathias Schindler neubau at presroi.de
Fri Dec 3 12:22:13 UTC 2004

Robin Shannon wrote:
> Well i have contributed 2 articles to wikinews so far, and one of them
> i lifted (more or less) straight from wikipedia (from an article that
> was written about 5 minutes before i sat down to write). I can think
> that there would be plenty of times when lifting a paragraph or so
> from wikipedia would be useful in wikinews. Hence while i would like
> it to be PD, i think that GFDL (provided that becomes CC-BY-SA
> complient sometime) would be the most practical.

Yesterday, ddp, a medium sized news agency copied [[de:Misshandlung]]
from wikipedia 1:1 and sent it over their channel. They didn't even try
to stick to the GNU FDL and it took me some time to explain copyright to
them.

I will not participate in a PD wikinews that does not ensure that free
text remains free. CC-BY-SA does not block newspapers from using the
content and because of the <buzzword>synergy</buzzword> hopes regarding
wikipedia, i suggest a dual licensing of GFDL and CC-BY-SA (keeping in
mind that these two should merge some day...)

Mathias