Re: [Foundation-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] fundraising for new hardware? Fwd: [Wikide-l] Spendenaktion für Hardware?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Dec 14 19:28:04 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>I plan to be the coordinator for our Q1 2005 fund drive sometime in mid January
>to early February. The timing will likely coincide with Wikipedia Day and
>perhaps the 500,000th English Wikipedia article and maybe some other milestones
>along with distribution of the newsletter. I never considered having a fund
>drive right before/during the winter holidays...

For consideration in future years, many nonprofit groups start donation
drives around October/November, in the hopes of convincing people to
make an end-of-year donation.  Since US taxes are done by calendar year,
there are a certain number of people who decide on their donations near
the end of the year---donations in December still count as deductions on
that year's taxes, but are sufficiently late in the year so the people
know their income/tax situation as much as possible and can decide how
much they want to give for the year.

(It'd be interesting if there were any statistics on how successful such
drives are, of course.)

For future years, more product-oriented things might work too.  A
nicely-bound print version of Wikipedia (or some subset thereof) could
make a good Christmas present.

-Mark