[Commons-l] Ogg Theora is too hard to play. We need YouTube-style Flash streaming video.

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 16:29:29 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> MediaWiki should convert all our videos to low-rez Flash Video format
> for streaming previewing as soon as the .ogg original is uploaded.
> This way, more people will be able to view our videos, so we'll get
> more uploads.
>
> Agree or disagree?

100% agree. I still haven't figured out how to get OGG files to play
correctly on any of my computers, and I'm more computer savvy than
most. I look forward to the day when OGG is a well-supported and
easy-to-play format but until then, I don't think playing a little
lowest-common-denominator is a bad thing when it comes to tech things,
with the always-available option of linking up with the full file for
those who really want to monkey with it.

FF