[Commons-l] [Foundation-l] Bands from Brazil - Why?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 00:59:27 UTC 2006

> On 14/11/06, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:
>
> > David, you're generalizing. Say "some Commons admins" if you wish, but
> > don't paint everyone with the same brush.
>

> And the dissenting voices were ...

Geez. WarX knows as well as anyone that were he to start
indiscriminately blocking any type of user, we would come down on him
like a ton of bricks. That is so obvious that it leads me to believe
he must be humorously exaggerating in order to demonstrate the
seriousness of the problem.

Can't believe that needed spelling out.

> The whole point is to be a service project. All wikis that don't allow
> non-free images were ultimately supposed to use Commons.
>
> If you're saying Commons really can't handle that, then the thing
> that's seriously wrong is at the Commons end.

Well, duh. But where do Commons users and admins come from? 99.99% of
them come from the Wikimedia community. Failure of Commons is then a
failure of Wikimedia as a whole. Yes, we want everyone to ultimately
be using Commons only, but we also need their help to get to that
point. If a local wiki turns off local uploads, the problems that they
have with new uploaders will just be transferred to Commons, but to
the local wiki it seems "all solved". We just need their help in
transferring some of their workers along with their uploaders.

Brianna
user:pfctdayelise