[Commons-l] [Foundation-l] Bands from Brazil - Why?

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 14 00:39:39 UTC 2006

David, I fully agree with what you are saying. These are, for not having a
proper English term, groeistuipen: 'us' not being able to cope - in the
short term - with the screening of added content. We need more active
administrators. We do have to advocate on the wikis that are sending their
uploaders to Commons. Please do post messages in their Village Pumps so that
they can be made aware of the problem. Post them in English, if you do not
speak their language. Then you will get reactions from those users you
want/need. Staying put on Commons will not solve the problem, IMO. We have
to reach out.

A bit off topic, bit here's where I think it's going and how it should be
handled. Personally, I do a lot of image maintenance on nl.wp, with the
ultimate goal to make the nl.wp licensing compatible with that of Commons so
that nl.wp can also redirect uploads to Commons and move it's the bigger
part of its image repository to Commons - we have a long way to go, but we
might get there in a year or so. We, the commons community, should in my
opinion actively approach the top 25 wikis (at first those that currently do
not allow fair use, I would say) to start making their users (more) aware of
the benifits of Commons. Try and get in touch with the image maintainers
there and guide them to get their wiki to a point where they could start
redirecting their uploads to Commons, to not make it a scary and/or sudden
event for either the other wiki or Commons. Once we are involved in their
transition and help them with it, we also have a large chance that their
image maintainers will hop over to Commons and do the same on Commons as on
their native language wiki.

I'll stop now to keep this a bit-size mail.

Cheers! Siebrand