[Commons-l] Commons != kindergarden

Artur Fijałkowski wiki.warx at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 19:34:36 UTC 2006

2006/11/12, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

> So when a new language starts using Commons for its images - the way
> all projects are supposed to with their free-content images - then
> Commons needs to add an admin or two from that project. If Commons
> can't do the job with the admins it has now, it needs to add a new
> procedure to allow admins from said projects to be trusted to do the
> same job on Commons.
>
> Else Commons fails in its original purpose, and will need replacing
> with a project that will work.

Wrong direction!

The problem is not that there are not enough admins,  the problem is,
that there are not enough USERS, especially people who watches
special:newimages and catch copyvios, problematic users, etc. Of
course you can say, that it should be done by admins and if so, it
means, that there are not enough of them.

Commons is large project, even very large, but has to few people and
maybe software is not good enough to work with it :P

Sometimes I dream about project Commons^2 working in parallel with
current, but allowing upload only some way verified material from
Commons.

But even that will not stop conversion of our Commons into giant swamp.

AJF/WarX

ps. How to explain people that not every ''shitty image'' they produce
is worth publishing on Wikimedia projects?